Steps to join Pack 396:
THE NEW ONLINE METHOD:
We are encouraging all new members to use this method. You can pay the registration costs directly through the site and reduce your local volunteer leadership's administrative burden. If you register via this method, you do not need to submit a paper application.
- Read our Pack Handbook
- Go to https://my.bsa.us/550paa0396mb and follow the instructions to register youth and adults.
- Complete the Annual Health and Medical Record as instructed in the online instructions above. Note that this does not require physician signature. Also note that this must be redone every 12 months while involved in Scouting. A paper copy of this form is to be turned in to the Pack leadership and kept on hand for all Pack activities.
- Adults: Complete Youth Protection Training online! Note that EVERY Adult Scouter must complete this training every 2 years. There is nothing more important than the safety of our Scouts! Go to http://my.scouting.org/ and click on the Youth Protection logo.
THE OLD PAPER BASED METHOD:
Do not use these instructions if you followed the new online method above.
- Read our Pack Handbook
- Complete the BSA Youth Application or Adult Application -- Note this form has a wealth of information... including Registration and Subscription Fees, membership age/grade requirements for youth. I encourage all parents to fully read this form before filling it out.
- Complete the Annual Health and Medical Record as instructed in the Application above. Note that this does not require physician signature. Also note that this must be redone every 12 months while involved in Scouting.
- Adults: Complete Youth Protection Training online and print or save a PDF of the certificate of completion. You'll need to create a free account on MyScouting.org. Instructions are here. Note that EVERY Adult Scouter must complete this training every 2 years. There is nothing more important than the safety of our Scouts!
- Pay Fees -- make a check payable to "BSA." Here's how to figure out the registration and subscription fees.
- It costs $45 for a national registration for one year. Our Pack is rechartered every January 31st. Hence if you are joining in a month other than January, this $24 is prorated at $3.75 per month remaining in our charter year. For example, joining in September has 5 months left in the charter so $18.75 would be due.
- It costs $12 for an annual subscription to Boys' Life Magazine. This is also prorated over our program year so members joining in September would pay $5.
- MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO "BSA"
NOTE: If you have an unexpired BSA Membership you do not need to pay the registration fee again this year. This would be the case if you were transferring a membership from another unit.
Uniform & Scout Handbook
All members need to be in Uniform and to have a Handbook for their program year (Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, or Webelos). Official Uniform Guidelines for Cub Scouts are published here.
Uniform parts and handbooks may be purchased locally at Socastee Hardware at 4860 Dick Pond Road, Myrtle Beach SC 29588 or at our Council Scout Shop is at 1025 Sam Rittenberg Blvd, Charleston SC 29407. Or you can order online at ScoutStuff.org or BSAuniforms.org. Finally, we do maintain an inventory of Uniform Parts at our Scout Hut. Please keep that in mind when your if your son outgrows his uniform, please pass it along to us to share with another scout who it will fit!
NOTE: Don't worry about ordering all the extra patches. We keep an inventory of Council Shoulder Patches, Pack Numbers, and World Scout Crests in stock. Don't buy a Den Number patch either.
Once you're a member, you'll need to participate in our annual Recharter to stay a member. Scouts and Scouters participating in Recharter will be registered for a full 12 months and will not have to repeat the steps above to join at the start of the next school year.